NOVEMBER TO MARCH
Monarch butterflies spend the winter in some parts of Southern California and Mexico, they are not able to survive the cold winters in the United States so they migrate to a warmer climate.
Don´t miss the opportunity to watch one of the world´s greatest migration, they fly 2,500 miles each year.
The Sanctuary is located just 2 hours travel time from Mexico City, perfect to enjoy a Family weekend.
The Monarch Butterflies Sanctuaries, a designated World Heritage Natural Site by UNESCO, can be seen nearby from November through March.
The Hotel Rancho San Cayetano is a rustic hotel surrounded by 5 hectares of nature, tranquility, and comfort. It is the most convenient location for visiting the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuaries, near the city of Zitacuaro, Michoacan, the Rancho also offers a short walk to Coatepec de Morelos, with its 16th Century Church, plus trips to the small villages of the surrounding hills and valleys.
You will enjoy a leisurely stroll through the gardens with large trees, kept lawns, a fish shaped pool, a stairway to the San Isidro River (108 steps down and up, too). See special views of mountains, volcano, wide valleys, open sky and inhale clear refreshing air. Flowers and garden vegetables are used daily.
The guided tour to the sanctuary departs daily between 10 and 10:30 am.
The drive is 1/2 hr. and a ride horseback for 1 hour and a half, up to 10,000 ft. (3,000 meters)
You can enjoy between 1 and 2 hrs. observing the butterflies’ flight patterns.
- Entrance Fee
- Bilingual guide
- Horse rental
- Box lunch
BUTTERFLY SANCTUARY TOUR
$100 USD per person
ACCOMMODATION RANCHO SAN CAYETANO
- Rooms with two full-size beds, bathroom, and fireplace $141 USD (1-2 pax.) $164 USD (3 pax) $185 (4 pax.)
- Room with a queen size bed, bathroom and fireplace. $141
- Suites with a king size bed, bathroom, and fireplace. $164
- Adobe house (stand alone) with queen size bed, bathroom & fireplace. $182 USD
- Stone house (stand alone) includes king size bed, bathroom, kitchen, living room with single bed, dining room, fireplace and outside terrace. $250 USD
- The sun house (stands partly alone) includes 2-bed rooms, one with queen size bed, one with a full-size bed, a bathroom, living room with couch bed, fireplace and outside terrace. $272
- New bi-level master suites with two bedrooms, one with a king size bed in loft and the second with a queen size bed at ground level; two bathrooms, kitchenette, living room with fireplace, and outside terrace $328 USD
- The above room rates are in USD per night and do not include 18% tax.
- Children under 2 years old don´t pay
- Meals are not included
- In order to avoid being charged the first night, reservations must be canceled 7 days prior to arrival date
- NO SHOWS: Failure to arrive on the date of reservation will result in a credit card charge of one-night applicable room rate plus taxes.
- On Easter Week, Christmas until New Year Week, National Holidays, Long Weekends, the charge for NO SHOW or not canceling 7 days in advance will be for two nights plus tax.